How can I my help my child to settle into Pre-School?
We will invite you and your child to visit the setting prior to starting Pre-School, this will give us the opportunity to discuss settling arrangements personal to your child.
You can help your child to feel more confident in themselves if they can manage their own personal hygiene and belongings.
- Prepare your child by helping them to take on some responsibilities themselves at home. They could put their shoes away when they get home and help you to tidy away some of their toys at the end of the day.
- Teach your child how to put their coat on themselves. Ask your child about the ' Pre-School Magic Way!'
- Teach your child how to wipe their nose, to put their tissue in the bin and wash their hands afterwards.
- Teach your child how to pull up their clothing after using the toilet .
- Teach your child how to wash their hands following a sequence of: wet hands, soap, make bubbles, rinse.
- Name your child's belongings so they can easily find their things at Pre-School.
Routine and structure helps. We have our meals at the table, we wait until everyone is at the table before we begin and using our manners when we need help is very important. We teach children about healthy and less healthy foods and always eat our healthy foods first, then we enjoy our treat. Following the same routine at home, will help your child to feel secure in knowing what will happen next.
Keep smiling! Your child will pick up on your emotions, so if you appear happy and calm this will help to them.
Communication is key. Voice your concerns and don’t be afraid to ask questions
Talk to us and share information. Relationships are important to us. Tell us about your child's weekend events, achievements they have made and send in photos so we can celebrate these with your child.
Social Skills. Has your child spent time with other children of a similar age? This will help them find the joy in playing alongside others and begin to understand that sometimes they need to wait for their turn.